Friday, March 21, 2014

Rubbermoon: Something to Crow About


I was not quite sure where I was headed with this piece. Initially, I simply started blocking out 2" Twinchie Squares from Inchie Arts using Caran d'Ache watercolor crayons.  Ravens always speak to me, so I pulled a handful of Rubbermoon's infamous black birds (Crow Silhouette, Happy Feet, Squawk, Crow Looking Over Shoulder) and went to Twinchie town.  Each square became home to blackbird using Staz On Jet Black ink and clear embossing powder.  The little guy in the lower right hand corner endured a bit of eye block due to the embossing powder, but as in good ephemerical order, I simply added a tiny Swarovski crystal for an eye because, afterall, ravens ARE magic.  And artist Gretchen Ehrsam added her magic touch to most of these blackbirds, so crystal eye is well-deserved!
To continue drawing out color, I pulled out a variety of Distress Inks and applied various shades and color to each square using Rubbermoon's Inksplat stamp.  I stamped splat around each bird.  After, I outlined each bird and a handful of splats in white to mirror the white Gesso frame I planned to add to the top of my acrylics on the 5x5 background canvas panel piece.
The background piece was an interesting challenge.  At first I thought to mirror the colors and texture of the Caran d'Ache I'd use Distress Stains.  Sadly, they did not issue the brightness I'd hoped for.  Next, I tried to spray a variety of ink sprays by Dylusions.  They achieved a deeper richness in color, but still too watery.  Finally, I brought out a handful of acrylic paints and brushed them acorss the canvas using sections of paper towel.  Once these tried, I daubed on white Gesso as frame.

Finally, I offset and adhered my raven birds to the panel and added a wire hanger.  The hanger includes a few twists, wraps and even some beads.  With a quick spray of a sealer, my "Something to Crow About" is ready for the wall!

No comments: