Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Gratitude

If you're eating pie for breakfast, then it is indeed still Thanksgiving! 

Last night, we went around the table and offered a couple of things we are thankful for.  I've been thinking about my answer since.  There are really so *many* more things that I am thankful for.  Certainly there isn't room within even a list, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

2013 Gratitude List
  • Happy, creative daughter who loves to read, play with her cat, and pretend she's Harry Potter.
  • The fact that even my Mom, the kindest person I know, at this hour, is probably having a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast.
  • That one brother not only dropped off his ladder yesterday for us to borrow, he is planning to cut us a Yellow Cedar tree for the holidays!
  • That the other brother is securing a new career, but making sure that he and his family are still in town for Thanksgiving, Solstice and Christmas.
  • Dad.  Just Dad.
  • The Universe has opened up all sorts of creative opportunities this year!  I started working on my MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry and have been given a chance to work with an amazing poet/mentor for the year.  Kae Pea offered me a slot on Rubbermoon's Creative Dream Team.  So yes, writing and art are covered!
  • A very good job - a bit of sadness seeing our new assistance principal depart at break, but I have been lucky to work with such amazing, friendly young people through my English classes.
  • That my crazy Sister Friend and her family carve out a reading/writing niche for me in Anchorage to attend my summer residency for said program mentioned earlier on list.  The time I get to recoup with her usually consists of all kinds of inspired (drunken) fun.
  • How did Bruce end up so low on the list and below his sister?   Bruce.  Just Bruce.  Good Dad to Rie, good husband to me.  He takes wicked cool photos and at 47 seemingly wants to travel the world.
  • That Friend Gloria got me this far along on a quilt I really should finish this weekend, how that I have a fair chunk of time off for Thanksgiving - and all arty endeavors we have attempted in the last 7 years.
  • My Washingtonian friends - so good to spend time with Tracy and attend Dan and Chad's wedding this fall.  Yes, everyone deserves a chance to marry.  These two have been together for 20 years.  Their happiness is contagious.  Time with Tracy proves the cliche that friends can pick up right where they left off and this time spent south for reason nothing more than friendship was magical, indeed.
  • Friends and family far and near...yes, very much so.
  • Thankful for my canine and feline family members and the joy they share daily:  Odin the yellow lab, Freya the Newfie, Moon Kitty the cat.
  • All things Alaska.
  • All things mystical and magical - yes, very much so.

No comments: