Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wheel of the Year: Lammas

Yes, I know it's 1) early for Lammas and 2) a celebration to honor the grain, but you have never tried my bread.  I have only attempted its making one time in my life and it came out flat, like a bike tire.  It worked well in soup, but Bruce wouldn't venture near it.  So my Lammas page honors the things we appreciate in August:  a winter's worth of salmon and halibut, fresh berries, sun and moon alike = clear skies.  I've included on the second page is a Celtic Goddess Blessing for the occasion:
By the Air that is Her breath,
By the Fire of Her bright spirit,
By the Waters of Her womb,
By the Earth that is Her body;
The Circle is open, yet unbroken,
May the peace of the Goddess go over in your heart;
Merry meet, and merry part, and merry meet again!

Finally, the reason for mailing it early?  Heading north to the Yukon and more northern parts of Alaska for a month come Monday night!

1 comment:

Pan's daughter said...

This is lovely! I find it interesting to see how people in other regions of the world celebrate the turning of the wheel. I have sort of a weird disconnect, having grown up in Ohio and now living in the Mojave Desert. First harvest celebrations work well in Ohio, but not in Las Vegas, where much has gone into "hibernation" by August 1, due to the heat. Because of my many interests in the arts, I celebrate Lughnasadh and honor Lugh, the master craftsman of all trades. (I still bake a loaf of bread, though! Have you tried something like Irish Soda Bread? Or a bread machine?)

Wishing you a safe and marvelous journey,
Julia