Sunday, January 31, 2010

Our Olie



Our beautiful, near 15-year-old black lab Olie passed today with the help of a doc who stopped by and helped us help Olie cross to the other side. It is a very sad day in our world. This family member is tied to every happiness Bruce and I have experienced. Olie was our first joint purchase, a puppy who ventured out alone to Gambell on St. Lawrence Island on three different flights to meet up with us there after the first six weeks of school. We spent hours that year on the beach, facing Russia, teaching Olie the commands he knew so well. The following year found us renting a cabin with a loft on the Kenai Peninsula. Yes, Bruce carried Olie up and down that ladder every night and morning so he could sleep with us. He did the Yukon River with Bruce over the course of two summers. Traveled to Newfoundland with us. Went mining with Bruce in the Fortymile Country. His tail knocked everything over in its path. He made a funny clicking sound when curious about something. And one time he went swimming so far out into the ocean after jumping, spawning salmon, that we thought he was part salmon. He is so very loved and so very missed. Bruce picked out a good spot for him on a nearby mountain, facing north much like Olie for all of his life. It is a sad day, indeed.

14 comments:

KeLLy aNN said...

I'm very sorry to hear that. Safe Journey.

Moriah said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

T's Daily Treasures said...

I am so sorry to hear about Olie. My pet Toni was with me from the time I was 2 years old until I was 17. I'll be 44 this month and to this day, I still think about her, still miss her and still shed a little tear. It's obvious that Olie was well-loved and lived a beautiful life. God bless you! Tammy

Shelly Hickox said...

I'm so sorry Kersten. He sounds like an awesome dog. Labs are really special. I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories.

Nigel said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I hope his crossing was peaceful.

Amber said...

May his journey be easy and your hearts slowly refill with beloved memories and sweet dreams!

It is so hard to lose a loved one, especially the furred, short-lived ones.

Be well,
Amber
http://www.swamppixieherbal.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

Sorry for you and your family. You are in our thoughts. Goddess bless you.

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

I am sooooo sorry for your loss of Olie. It is so hard indeed.
Please believe Olie is at the Rainbow Bridge with all other loved animals having the time of his life, waiting for you and your husband, for one day you will see each other again.
Take good care.
Michele

June said...

Kersten i got a beautiful valentines from you and it made my day my friend. Thanks so much for that. I would like to send you something too my friend but cant find your address could you email me please?
I am so sorry about Olie, you must be devastated. Take care my friend
hugs June xxxx

Carol said...

Sounds like you have many wonderful memories of your time with him.

judie said...

I really feel for you.

Olie will be jumping and chasing pussycats in doggie heaven and eating everything in sight.

We lost our 17 year old black lab, chloe last year, such a gap can never be filled, we do have a puppy now 5 months also called chloe, such a little rascal and keeps us on our toes.

Your remember Olie forever as he also a family member forever.

big hugs hun xx

April said...

Gah! You're killing me. I can't cry about poaching my kid with boiling water yet, but freaking Ode to Ollie got me choked up? I love that damn dumb dog.

nologic said...

I am so sorry to read of Olie's passing. Labs are a special breed of dog. I think Olie must have been one of the best. He will be waiting at the rainbow bridge for you.

And somehow the fact that the word verification for this comment is 'ducks' seems fitting.

文章 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,AV女優,美女,成人圖片區,080苗栗人聊天室