Halloween is in the air and on the page! And in this case, on what started as a sheet of watercolor paper that morphed into ATCs and became a mini book of Halloween goodness.
First, I used my Caran d'Ache watercolor crayons to create vibrant background color for each stamp used. It was a kind of scribble and add water effect. Next, I used StazOn Jet Black ink to stamp each image on top of my watercolor scribbles. The jack o'lantern is the only image I stamped first, and colored after.
I used a heavy black cardstock for the background of each ATC. From there, I trimmed or square cut each stamped image to my liking.
This ATC back took a bit of direct to paper Peacock Blue Distress ink and dry brushed acrylic orange paint. Wouldn't a tree of Hanging Jacks be a funky sight to encounter out in the woods?
More acrylic paint added to this background with a yellow gold trim added after the card's assembly. The spooky words are add-ons, ephemera from Retro Cafe Art.
Here is the growing piles of ATCs.
More acrylic painted background effects.
This little house is about one of my favorite Halloween images. Once I had stamped the primary image, I applied a thin layer of Gesso to newsprint paper and restamped the house on this. The image was then cut out and applied to my ATC.
An eyelet was added to the upper left corner of each ATC. Through each I ran a piece of skull ribbon and voila! Happy Halloween! :)
Major denial that summer is coming to a close. How can it, when I am still able to find bloom to photograph?
said, I put together a postcard tonight for a friend. Whimsical paper
lanterns, breeze, a bit of final bloom in the midst of darkening autumn
I used Dylusions spray ink for a splash of sky color in the
background. Once dry, I used StayOn Jet Black to stamp Paper Lanterns (ge2826: Lanterns). I used Fiskars gel pens to add a bit of color to bloom and to lantern.
At this point, I decided to add some late summer/early fall color to the decorative paper. This I adhered to a postcard.
A bit of framing with a paint pen, an add of the paper lantern piece, and my postcard is ready to send!
I've only just returned recently from my second summer residency in
my MFA program, and even though I'm studying poetry, "Story Girl"
resonates. The ATC I made just prior to leaving and the mail art is the
letter I wrote to a friend about residency upon my return. Both use
these wildly funky Gretchen Ehrsam backgrounds that with enough play on
page can be mesmerizing.
For Story Girl, I inked up the Typewriter with Heart (kp5044)
using StazOn Jet Black ink. This I stamped onto a precut glossy
cardstock piece just shy the size of an ATC. I stamped an identical
version onto a sticky note to serve as a mask. Once I applied the mask
to the card, I used about five different hues of Distress ink on
Gretchen Ehrsam's background stamp, Umbrellas (ge2843). The expression Story Girl (kp5059)
was stamped out on a scrap glossy strip. It was glued first to black
cardstock and layered onto the card. Once the Distress inks dried, I
adhered the card to an ATC back, and added a bit of colorful acrylics
and glitter glue to the edges.
And just for kicks - the mail art that began its flight to Paris yesterday...for this I used Mixed Border (mk592f) and Evening Starflower (db4785g).
Well, crumb! Missed a glimpse of the August Supermoon last night. There's something about living in an Alaskan rainforest in that the chances of the sky view being obscured are, well, likely. But that did not dampen our celebration of said Supermoon. While it rained, Gloria, Rie and I designed little full moons on paper. Below is the set I put together using stamps from Rubbermoon and 100 Proof Press. And Rie tried her hand at painting a crescent moon and star in a night sky.
July is the place where art journal meets writing journal. I spend much of my July north - attending the latest writing residency as I write to earn my MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry.
This page sat for a long time with just sky and Lone Pine and "True Free Spirit." I loved it for its simplicity and textured sky. The background is comprised of acrylic paints: orange, two blues, a bit of teal, and a scraping of white. I tore and adhered two green pieces of tissue paper before embossing Lone Pine on the page.
I fished out from my scrap box a pretty piece of wrapping paper from a friend and on it, dashed a bit of writing I had in front of me. This I layered to a patch of tissue paper and cornered it off with pieces of bright Washi tape. Voila! The two arts of stamping and writing meet!
This was my Summer Solstice project, to create a string of suns (Rubbermoon: Large Lady Sun Face/ge2475) to hang as a banner in my living room. In fact, they turned out to be the brightest suns of the day as it was overcast and breezy outdoors.
I started this by coloring two glossy sheets of paper using Distress and Dylusion Inks - mostly oranges, yellows and a splash of purple, a bit of aqua and pink. These sheets I glued to heavy cardstock. I had planned to run them through a die cutter, but the sun is just slightly larger than the circle dies I had in mind, so I ended up cutting each by hand after stamping.
Lots of sun love!
After trim, I set two eyelets at the top of each sun, through which to run their ribbon.
I added a gold bead between each sun and voila - a sun banner to hang in my living room!